Thursday, July 3, 2014

All the things…

It's been a whirlwind past month as I've plane hopped from Adelaide to Melbourne, Melbourne to Los Angeles (plus a stopover in NZ), insert numerous mini road trips and plenty of time wasted using the LA Metro, and then Los Angeles to Melbourne (there's that stopover again…) before the final leg Melbourne to Adelaide. And you know, straight back to work the next day. A lot has happened in between, so here's an obligatory recap.

Melbourne was charming as always. Seeing Charlie (my cat) warmed my heart and probably offended my family, because he is the apple of the pie - if the pie is indeed an apple one. Seeing my cousin get married was beautiful and a little surreal. We were best friends for the longest time and I remember him telling me all about this girl many moons ago, and here we are now in our late twenties - they have a house and have tied the knot. I guess we've grown up a little after all. Just a little. I barely survived my hangover post wedding, which I blame on a combination of things:

1. my vintage YSL heels that have zero grip
2. my eccentric dance moves
3. the Sambuca shot that finished me

I'd like to add on the last one that my brother missed his flight back to Adelaide because of that Sambuca shot. We have both decided to give up shots… well, Sambuca ones at least. Anyway, I still managed to haul ass out of bed and meet my lovely Liz for coffee and an afternoon of Bridesmaid dress shopping - cheers for driving Julie! It nearly killed me, but for Liz I could power through anything. Say what you like about me, but I'm a damn committed friend! We ended up purchasing the first and only dress we tried on after browsing around to be sure we weren't jumping the gun. It's a delicious dress and I cannot wait to stand in it next to Liz on her special day, I love that girl much much much lots. Lots. LOTS.

Besides a few quick coffee dates and some slapdash packing, I left Melbourne and made my way to LA. Whilst there I soaked up as much sun as possible, spent time with my lovely mates, owned the dance floor with new and old friends at the glorious wedding of the Gallagher's, spent most my budget on food (glorious food!) went on hikes, lay on beaches, got a mandatory tattoo addition, saw some ladies dance in their lace numbers - dirty 30 celebration - and did just a little shopping. Little by my standards.

The highlight of the trip was definitely dancing at Rob and Katt's wedding; it was such a beautiful location in Solvang - wine country California - if you ever have the opportunity to go don't hesitate. Everyone just came together regardless of whether they knew one another, we were all best friends for the evening. I like that environment because I'm very much the kind of person that loves everybody until I'm given good reason not to. Why have hate or a judgemental attitude. Love and acceptance is a far better mantra, that and 'one shall always dance big'. As in your arms can always stretch further, don't hold back. Bring it.

Back to Melbourne I travelled with the bitter sweet feeling that accompanies me after every trip, the not knowing when I'll see those left behind again and the excitement to go back to my loved ones at home. I was only in Melbourne a couple nights, I managed to see the grandparents, and a few others in the mad rush - the ones I HAVE TO! see regardless of time restraints. I even managed to fit in an Orthodontist appointment, and then I was back at the airport with mum in tow to fly to Adelaide. I slept well that night, which was good because I had to work all weekend. And here I am, back in Adelaide as I finish up this blog entry. It's taken a while to get on top of it, due to a constant flow of work and several pieces of both good and bad news to absorb regarding my family back in Melbourne.

I can finally announce that I will become an Aunty! My eldest brother and his wife are expecting their first little bean, meaning mum and dad will become grandparents! As in life the good and bad do tend to tango together, with the above news also came word that my pop (grandfather) has just been diagnosed with stage four cancer. My initial reaction surprised me, in that I didn't react at all. That may seem heartless to some but it is quite the surreal piece of information to receive, and we all process the negatives in our own ways.

Since my initial reaction - or lack there of - I've been on a wee roller coaster. I can't tell you how hard it is to be away from home and family during times like these. If you've ever lived away from home no doubt you can relate, you feel disconnected and this undoubtedly feeds the surrealism of the situation. Or maybe it's just a coping mechanism? To attempt to not feel, and busy yourself with the everyday stuff… I love my pop, he's the only one I've ever had the pleasure of meeting, making him endlessly special to me. It's scary to think how fragile life is; one day you're fine, the next week you're sick, come the following month you're diagnosed with cancer. It's a fickle game this life business, and we really mustn't take it for granted.

Here are some fun facts:
- I saw a Smaug plane. Air New Zealand, if you've ever wanted to ride a dragon.
- Cookies are an acceptable breakfast, as long as they're the soft gooey kind.
- I changed a saying in this blog from 'apple of my eye' to the (in my personal opinion) approved version 'apple of my pie'… mmm pie.
- Never attempt to eat sushi when you're hungover. Trust me on this.

Life is precious you guys! Take the good with the bad, learn, grow and keep on living. Because in the end it's a fickle business and you never know what may lay ahead. And remember, it's better to regret doing something than it is to regret having not done at all. Besides it's not really a regret, it's but a lesson learnt. Tra-la-la!
Stay Awesome.
&.the.bohemian.girl.xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment