Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Why our twenties matter

As much as we convince ourselves we're adults as soon as we hit 21, we are in fact just children experiencing our first pay checks. Don't get me wrong, we had our jobs and new found responsibilities, but ultimately the majority of us hadn't really learnt anything, not yet.

I personally took my job very seriously; I would turn up to work no matter what. When I was so hungover I thought I may die OR if I was only 80% sure I was even sober, I was there. I even remember turning up when my first boyfriend shat on my heart, whatever man I've got a job to do. Even if I did spend the majority of my shift 'cleaning' aka crying in the back room. I was a responsible adult with my work ethic in check, and I'd be damned if I didn't get me my Sunday pay… So we had our shitty jobs, and we may have been living in a shoebox, but it was OUR shoebox. We gladly paid our rent and bills, we bought our own clothes, sipped on cheap wine that often came from a box (which consequently came with a free pillow) we had our friends over for Italian/Mexican/Thai - all of which sound fancy but are also thrifty - and we had our spare wine cask pillows for when they crashed on the floor. Oh yeah, we were adults! Mature as fuck.

Whatever we wanted in life we could have, reach out and take it, make it yours. Fight for it, work for it, deserve it. Our money is our own, we'll spend it on whatever makes us happy. From shouting our friends and family, even if we can't afford to, it makes us feel badass so we drop those bills, it's just money who cares. I can look after myself and my homies, boom, make it rain. Sometimes we buy new shoes and don't have the money to take them to dinner - or a new phone whatever your thing is we've all been there - who cares, our feet and legs look outstanding, and I know I'll always crack a smile when looking down at them from my bowl of two minute noodles, totally worth it. No one can judge us for these indulgences, we're entitled to them, it's a right of passage when you start earning your own money. In fact we can never truly be judged for anything in life, as only we have the right to judge ourselves. That's right, no one else is entitled to judge you and if they think they are than they have bigger problems on their hands - namely they have self issues - so be someone you can be proud of, there is no arrogance in that only self love.

Our twenties sure as hell are not our golden years, they may be the most dramatic, or feel the most liberating, but in the end it's only the beginning. We haven't even started yet. But lets not ride off the entire decade, because our twenties matter. They are the years that mould us, carve and shape us through trial and error, give us a sense of true identity. We're finally getting somewhere, we're realising who we truly are and want to be. We're becoming the individuals we've been waiting to become, young adults ready to leap into the next phase of living. We still don't know everything, but fuck it, who ever really does. We're putting ourselves out there, we're learning and that's ok - we don't have to know it all, but we know something and that's pretty grand. Instead of getting absorbed and caught up in our faults and where we may have gone wrong, we finally just embrace, learn our lesson, and carry the fuck on.

Looking back over my twenties I've really come to appreciate these years; the ups the downs, the drama, the freedom, the complete and utter chaos. These really are the greatest of even the worst times. We throw ourselves out there, we've experimented, we've laughed, we've cried, we've tried. We have lived our lives outside of routine and restrictions. We've made mistakes, done things we thought at the time were regrettable, but in actual fact they aren't really regrets, nope, looking back they were the lessons, the acts that we didn't realise at the time but they were shaping us, teaching us. Life isn't always easy, and you know what, thank god for that. What a tedious life it would be to play it safe and not break some bloody boundaries.

Your twenties are to be tested and treasured, they are some of the most important years, although - at the same time - the most irrelevant. Through experiences and mere observation we really do get away with murder (figuratively speaking of course) and that's the beauty of it, no drama is that big in the end, just character building and a further education to life. We're figuring out what we want or perhaps learning that maybe we don't want what we thought we did. Whatever happens and whatever may lie ahead, we're a step closer to taking it on. Guns blazing we're roaring to go, knowing that in the end these are the year to dream big. As for our thirties? Well, they'll be fierce! And our forties? Just fabulous. And from then on who knows? But one thing for sure is that we'll sure have some ripper stories.


&.the.bohemian.girl.xx.

Postscript: The above song felt like a necessary accompaniment to this blog entry. Icona Pop - I love it, listen to it loud and dance like no ones business. You're only as old as you feel you are and I plan on being fierce and fabulous forever, you should all join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment